Pages

My 11 for 2011

I'm usually not one to make New Year's resolutions.  Resolutions are known for being broken and I just feel like I would be setting myself up for disaster.  But over the last couple of months I kept having things come to mind that I would like to work on and get better at, so I told myself that this would be a year of accomplishing goals, or as we call them this time of year, resolutions.  If I summed up everything I would like to resolve to do into one sentence it would probably be "To get my act together, " but what fun would it be if I left it at that?  Not fun at all and definitely not setting myself up for success - I need specifics!

So, in an effort to help gather my thoughts and prepare myself for a successful year, here they are...

My 11 "Resolutions" for 2011:

1. Read the entire Bible.  I've been wanting to accomplish this task for years and years and this is going to be the year I do it.  There are so many different reading plans available to help that I really don't have an excuse not to - The only thing holding me back is my own discipline.  I think it's wild that I've grown up with my faith in Christ, but have never completely read the book that I believe to be the inerrant word of God.

2. Lose the last of that baby weight. (Yeah, I know it's typical resolution material.)  It's time to get back to the exercise routine, say goodbye to the sodas I started drinking over the holidays, and get back to a weight I feel good about once and for all. No. More. Excuses.


3. Stick to my routine.  I'm not a fan of cleaning (Just ask my hubby or even my roommates from college), so the only way I'll get it done is if I do it in small doses.  When I follow my routine the house looks better, I feel better, and I know it makes the hubby happy.  I would even venture to say our kiddos act better when the house is in order and not chaotic.  Peace of mind for all is a definite plus.


4. Decorate our home.  On the note of taking care of our home, I really would like to do a better job of decorating our space.  I love decorating, but it's not something that comes naturally to me, so it will take a bit of work.  I want our home to be a happy and comfortable place for us as well as a place to gather with family and friends in a pleasant atmosphere.


5. Take better care of myself and our family.  I guess this kinda goes hand-in-hand with #2, but when I thought of this I was thinking more along the lines of finding a good family doctor and keeping up with necessary check-ups and appointments to keep our family in the best health possible.  When someone gets sick I want to have a professional close by that I trust to help us out.


6. Blog more.  Oh yeah, it's on here.  Have you seen the last time I posted?  And let's just be honest, that was only for the free Christmas cards.  By looking at the quantity of posts I have you wouldn't be able to tell how much I really love doing it, but I promise I do, which is why I keep trying to find a way to make it work for me.  More than that, I feel like it's something I'm suppose to be doing.  The best is yet to come.


7. Keep in touch with friends and family more.  I am one of the world's worst at keeping in touch with people.  I'm sure of it.  I'm positive if it weren't for Facebook I wouldn't keep in contact with 80% of the family and friends I do now, and even with Facebook I don't do it nearly as much as I should.  I want to make the time to call family, friends, and people who have impacted my life on a regular basis.


8. Potty train our 3 yr. old.  I think I've been dealing with guilt about this everyday for the last 6 months.  I just can't stay consistent.  Everyone always seems so anxious to potty train, but you know what I realized?  Diapers are so much easier!  My little man is more than capable of throwing out the diapers for good, he just needs his mama to get on her A-game. (Or would it be P-game?) ;)


9. Have our family participate in more charity type events.  I want to start teaching our boys while they're young to appreciate the blessings in their life and to be giving and loving to those that might not be so fortunate.  I think so much maturity and responsibility can be gained from seeing the world through the eyes of others and learning there is more to life than your own little comfortable bubble of life.

10. Help the family budget.  Dave Ramsey would be so proud.  We've been making major milestones along our journey to being debt free.  However, I still see places where I feel like we (mostly I) could improve - like spending less money on groceries/going out to eat.  I've tried the coupon thing before, and to be honest, it drove me a little nuts, but I've been having the itch to give it one more go.  I even bought a paper on Sunday. We shall see.


11. Be better prepared for events like holidays, birthdays, etc.  It's January 4th and I still have a Christmas gift I haven't bought yet, you know, for the holiday that was 2 weeks ago.  It's not for lack of trying, but that doesn't mean it isn't eating me alive.  I really, really want to be more proactive about buying birthday gifts/cards, planning birthday parties (or any other parties for that matter), and yes,  buying Christmas gifts.  Doing some things at the last minute can be beneficial and fun sometimes.  Doing 98% of it at the last minute causes stress.

Whew!  I've got a lot to keep me busy in 2011, but I'm excited!

If you're not into the resolution thing, but would rather sum up your plan for the year in one word then check out Alece over at Grit and Glory.  Any other year I would have loved to jump on board, but since the point is to not make a list of goals, I don't really fit the criteria.  However, if I did sum everything up in one word it would be Gumption.  With a little initiative and drive my goals will be in progress in no time.

Happy New Year!!  Here's to a fabulous 2011!!
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Brittany-
    Yay for you! Your first blog post of 2011!! So happy for you! And might I add, that its a REALLY GOOD post! A lot of your resolutions you have set for yourself, are also things that I need to work on in my own life! Thank you for bringing them to my attention! Hope you are having a good week! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girl... You are awesome. I am sure you'll achieve every single goal you set for yourself. Love you... and please, please, please blog more! You are a great writer! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great plan. Speaking of saving $$, that will happen when "Someone" gets potty trained. LOL, Nana

    ReplyDelete
  4. ur such a good blogger i swear it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your interest in leaving a comment to our post! Please remember this is a positive and fun atmosphere for our family and friends to share, so please be respectful in all comments. Any comments seeming rude or inappropriate will be removed! Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails